Sony has a built-in a media player for the PlayStation 4 that not only plays a lot of file formats including the increasing popular MKV container but also play the embed subtitles in the files. Tips to play video files with subtitles on PS4:
– You have to have external subtitle file named the same as the media file, in the same director
– Only external SRT files work, SUB/ASS/SSA/MKS files do not work
It won’t be difficult for you to set the external subtitle file name the same as the media file and put it in the same director. Therefore, what you need to make sure is that external subtitle file is in SRT format. The following part will show you 2 workable solutions to create video file with SRT subtitle format for PS4 media player viewing.
Solution 1: Produce MKV file with SRT subtitle for PS4 media player viewing
1. Download and install mkvtoolnix.
2. Download MKVExtractGUI-2, extract into the directory where you installed mkvtoolnix.
3. Download and install Aegisub.
4. Run MKVExtractGUI-2, set the input file to your MKV file.
5. Select the subtitle file, and click extract. If this file extracts as SRT, skip to step 8. If the file is not an SRT file, continue to step 6.
6. Run Aegisub and open up your subtitle file.
7. Go to File menu -> Export -> and export the subtitle file as an SRT to convert it.
8. Place this file, named the same as your video file, on to your USB stick. You will have to place any video files in a folder on the USB stick in order for the PS4 to recognize them.
9. On your PlayStation 4 go to settings -> Accessibility -> Closed Captions -> Check “Display Closed Captions”.
10. Load the Media Player and play a video, press the Options button on the controller, select CC, and turn on. This option will not show up if you skip step 9.
11. Congratulations! Your subtitles should now display.
Solution 2: Add SRT subtitle to video for PS4 Media Player
Overwhelmed or confused by the complicated methods listed above and wish to find a simple alternative solution to get the job easily completed. The good news is that here comes Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate, the program not only assists you to produce PS4 Media Player supported file formats such as MKV, AVI, MP4, MPEG-2 PS, MPEG-2 TS, etc from various media types such as commercial Blu-ray/DVD disc and also unsupported digital file formats such as H.265, XAVC/XAVC S, MXF, WMV, Prores, etc, but also does you a great favor to direct insert external online downloaded SRT subtitle to the file formats with just few clicks.
Tips: The subtitles that you downloaded from online sites are soft subtitles which will appear as a separate select-able tracks in your output file. With viewing the file with PS4 media player, you will be able to enable/disable these subtitles as required.
For Mac users, you can go to download Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac to embed SRT subtitles for PS4 media player watching on macOS High Sierra, macOS Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mac OS X Yosemite and Mac OS X Mavericks, etc.
Get Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate with 20% off discount, coupon codec: 45K2D47GJH
Step by Step to Insert External SRT Subtitle for PS4 Media Player
Step 1: Input Blu-ray/DVD or digital video.
Start the application on your computer. For loading digital video, click “File” > “Add Video/Audio” or “Add from folder” (batch load multiple files) option. For loading Blu-ray or DVD disc, Insert your Blu-ray or DVD disc into your computer’s optical drive , hit “File” > “Load from disc” option.
Step 2: Choose output file format.
Clicking the Format bar, from its drop-down list, select PS4 Media Player supported digital file format “PS3 Video (1080P) MPEG-4(*.MP4)” under “PSP/PS3″ main category, which also work with PS4.
Step 3: Insert external SRT subtitle to video.
Click “Edit” or the pencil like icon to switch to the editing interface, where you can find multiple editing functions and “Subtitle” is just one of them. Click the “Subtitle” tab and check the “Enable” box to allow you to add external SRT subtitles to videos. Then Click “Browse” to find and import the downloaded SRT subtitles.
Step 4: Start SRT subtitle embedding process.
After all setting is completed, hit right-bottom “Convert” button to start to insert SRT subtitle to video process. Then you will have no problem to play video with subtitle on PS4 media player.