Time never stops its step for one minute, so does the development of virtual reality. And HTC Vive is groundbreaking VR technology that combines a lightweight, wireless headset. Now prepare your ticket: smartphone, and put on your HTC Vive for amazing VR experience! This tutorial will shows how users set up HTC Vive and use HTC Vive to watch 3D movies smoothly without limitation.
What videos can be played on HTC Vive?
The Four Kinds of Videos You Can Watch on Your HTC Vive
There are four kinds of video you can watch in VR, each of which you can obtain from different sources:
- Regular 2D video: These are the normal videos you find on YouTube, or rip from DVDs and Blu-ray discs.
- 3D video: You’ve seen 3D movies at the theater, and you can buy those 3D movies on Blu-ray, too. To watch them in VR, you can rip that 3D Blu-ray to a “side by side” or “over under” format, which is playable on a VR headset in 3D. (You’ll usually have the choice between Full SBS, which contains each eye in full resolution, or Half SBS, which contains each eye in subsampled half resolution. Full SBS videos are noticeably higher quality, but take up more hard drive space and more graphics power to play.)
- 180 or 360 degree video: These types of video are fairly new, but you can check out lots of them on YouTube or download them from other sources. On your 2D monitor, you can use the mouse to drag the video around to see different views, but played on an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, you can actually look around using your headset’s head tracking. It’s very cool.
- Full VR video: This format combines 3D and 180 or 360 degree footage for a completely immersive, 3D, head-tracking experience. You can buy videos like this at different places around the web, like VideoBlocks or watch a few for free on YouTube.
Best 3D Video Converter for HTC Vive
If your video format is not included above, like VOB, MTS, MXF, Tivo etc, Pavtube Video Converter (Read Review) deserves your try. Unlike other converters on the market like Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip or FFmpeg converter, it supports almost all input and output video/audo formats, it can change 2D/3D movies, no matter best horror movies on Netflix, family/kids movies, or action movies to 2D or 3D MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc for your specific use on HTC Vive, Homido VR, Gear VR, VR One Plus, Rift DK2, Google Cardboard, etc. or directly to latest mobile devices. What’s more, it’s also a huge time saver, 6x faster speed while keeping outstanding quality. The 3D models include Anaglyph (Red/cyan), Anaglyph (Green/magenta), Anaglyph (Amber/blue), Side By Side (Full), Side by Side (Half-Width), Top and Bottom (Full), Top and Bottom (Half-Height). Or get mac version for 3D movie creating.
PS: If you want to rip DVD and Blu-ray to HTC Vive for viewing, you can use Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate to work with every commercially produced Blu-rays and DVDs.
Free download this 3D video converter for HTC Vive
Guide to Convert unsupported 3D movies to HTC Vive
Step 1: Import source 3D video
Click “Add file” to add the 3D videos that you wish to change to 3D SBS video.
Step 2: Select 3D SBS format
For “Format” to navigate to “3D”. Here, you can find “Side-by-side MP4 ” as you need for HTC Vive.
Tip: Go to 3D video editing interface to set 3D effect
Click the “Edit” button and you can go into the Video Editor interface. Choose “3D” tab to set the 3D settings. You can choose the 3D effect like Left-Right or Top-Bottom to get better 3D movie playback in HTC Vive.
Step 3: Start to change 3D video to HTC Vive 3D SBS format
Now, you can hit the “Convert” button to start to change 3D video for HTC Vive. After the process, open output folder to locate the generated 3D movie for sharing/transferring. Through this way, you also can freely enjoy 3D movies on HTC Vive in 3D SBS format. Now just immerse yourself in the amazing and fantastic VR world! You can download the free trial version and try.
- Best 3 4K Ultra HD Video Converter for macOS Sierra and Windows 10
- Why MKV can’t be played on Philips TV? How to Play MKV on Philips TV?
- How To Choose An Instagram Converter on Mac or Windows
- Convert Camtasia Recording File .camrec to AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, MPG, FLV, etc.
- How to Play HD Video on Slow Computer – Fix Video Lagging
- Top 3 Tools to Encode/Decode H.265 on Mac (macOS Sierra)