I just bought a brand new wd tv media player but when I plug my hard drive onto it all the rmvb files does not show up. is there anything i can do to fix that. eg download a codex or something and put it on the machine. I really need it to play rmvb files because most of my file are that format.
The only WDTV Media Player that supported RMVB was the WDTV Mini (which is super old and probably super cheap on ebay). Anyways, if you don’t planed to WDTV Mini … you will have to convert ALL your RMVB’s to a compatible ‘supported’ format for all the other WDTV Media Players.
From the WD supported center we know that compatible media file types for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, WD TV Live Hub Media Center, WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK) HD Media Player, and WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) (Based on Firmware Version 3.12.13 for the WD TV Live Hub Media Center, 1.06.16_B for the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live HD Media Player and 1.01.77 for the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) is that:
Video — MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264), M2TS, TP, TRP, TS, MP4, ASF, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)
- MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
- FLV file extensions are supported (using a video codec of H.264 and an Audio codec of AAC only) in the latest firmware version for all of the above devices besides the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2).
- RMVB videos from Real Media are not supported. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.
- The WD TV Live HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.
Pictures — JPEG/JPG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
- JPEG only supports compressed RGB format files. BMP only supports uncompressed files. TIFF only supports single layer files. BMP, TIFF/TIF, PNG, and GIF have a max resolution of 2048×2048. JPEG/JPG has a max resolution of 4096×4096 unless it is in a progressive format, then maxes out at 1280×720.
Audio — MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
- AAC/Dolby Digital/DTS decodes in 2 channel output only. You will need an audio receiver capable of decoding these codecs for additional channels.
Playlists — PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitles — SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI
How to Play RMVB Videos on WD TV?
An all-in-one method to successfully play RMVB video files on WD TV Media Player is to convert RMVB video files to WD TV more compatible one. Pavtube Video Converter is just the ideal WD TV Converter which has both Windows and Macverison.
Acting as the WD TV Video Converter,it also embed in a video editor which can trim, crop, rotate, effect, merge, add or remove subtitles, watermark, adjust video audio volume, change file bitrate, frame rate, aspect ratio, audio channel and etc.
The following will give you a simple tutorial to convert RMVB video files to WD TV more compatible H.264 *.mp4 as example, Windows version in this example, Mac version has the same tutorial besides the tiny differences in interface. The free trial before purchase is available, just download and follow the steps:
Then, click on the format bar, and on format list follow “HD Video” ＞ “H.264 HD Video (*.mp4).”
Finally, hit the red button “Convert” in bottom right corner to realize RMVB video files to H.264 conversion.
Once finishing RMVB video files to H.264 conversion, transfer the converted RMVB video files in H.264 format to WD TV Media Player.