AVI is a popular file format that is used for playing in Xbox 360. However, despite of being the commonly used format there can be such times where it fails to work. Find out why? Altough AVI is on the list of multimedia file formats that Xbox 360 can support, sometimes we still have trouble in transfering AVI to Xbox 360 and play AVI on Xbox 360. That’s because the AVI files supported by Xbox 360 have lots of limitations. For video codec, Xbox 360 supports an AVI file with the following video codec. Besides, limitations extend to some detailed specifications like video bitrate etc.
Xbox 360 Supported Video Codecs
- MPEG-4 Part 2 video, up to 5Mbps, 1280 x 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple/Advanced Simple Profile in AVI containers with Dolby Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel, MP3 in .avi and .divx file formats;H.264 video, up to 10 Mbps, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline/Main/High (up to level 4.1) Profiles in MPEG-4/QuickTime containers with two-channel AAC low complexity (LC) in .AVI, .m4v, AVIv, .mov file formats;
- MPEG-4 Part 2 video, up to 5Mbps, 1280 x 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple/Advanced Simple Profile in MPEG-4/QuickTime containers with two-channel AAC low complexity (LC) in .avi and .divx file formats;
- WMV (VC-1) video, up to 15Mbps, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 30 frames per second, WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in Simple/Main/Advanced up to level 3 in asf containers with WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless in .wmv file formats;
Audio Formats Supported by Xbox 360
WMA7/8, WMA9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA Lossless, AAC, MP3, Dolby Digital
Music File Extensions: .wma, .mp3, .aac
So, if your Xbox 360 can’t access AVI files, you’re often told to re-encode your AVI to Xbox 360 recognized formats. Considering there are so much specifications in AVI files for Xbox 360, here, we strongly recommend Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate to help you simplify your job.
The software is a video transcoding tool, equipped with a codec pack that contains various codecs, including all kinds of AVI no matter with any codecs. The software is able to turn AVI, MKV, AVI, MTS, WMV, MOV, MPG…any popular video files to a decent format you need. Plus, it offers kinds of preset profiles for game consoles including Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, iPad, iPhone, Android devices like Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nook HD, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note 4, etc to meet your different needs. If you are Mac users, please turn to iMedia Converter for Mac. Now, just throw your AVI files and re-encode to Xbox 360 with one simple click.
Free download the professional AVI to Xbox 360 converter- Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate (for Mac, for Windows), install and run it, the following interface will pop up.
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-video-converter-ultimate/
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-75938564.html
Step 1. Load AVI files
You can either press the Add Files button on the top-left hand corner of this interface or directly drag-and-drop your AVI files from the computer onto this program. The uploaded files will be neatly stacked up on the interface.
Step 2. Select Xbox 360 video as output video format & device
To select output video file for Xbox 360, go to the Format section. Click to expand the video profiles list. Pick up the Xbox 360 compatible format “Xbox 360 Video – Windows Media Video(*.wmv)”, “Xbox 360 Video (640*480)(*.wmv)”, “Xbox 360 HD Video (*.wmv)” from “Zune/Xbox 360 Device”.
For professionals and advanced users, the powerful video converter has the capacity to allow users to customize the output video files, such as quality, video encoder, video frame rate, resolution, bit rate and so on.
Step 3. Re-encode AVI videos to Xbox 360
When you are ready, click the “Start conversion” button at the bottom right corner to re-encode AVI to Xbox 360 with highest quality. The Xbox 360 Video Converter supports NVIDIA CUDA and AMD APP acceleration technology, so the software will do re-encoding at fast speed. When the conversion finished, you can follow the steps below to stream and play .avi movies on Xbox 360:
For Windows users: There are four ways to share the AVI file to Xbox 360: Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, Windows Home Server and Zune Software. Pluck just Windows Media Player 12 as an example. (Note: this method only applies to Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10) or 11 (Windows Vista).
Click the “Stream” menu of Windows Media Player and then select “Turn on media streaming”;
Click “Turn on media streaming” in the pop-up dialog;
Name your media library and click “OK”.
For Mac users: You have to use a third-party streaming solution to share the MP4 file to Xbox 360.
- Play MPEG-2 Files on iPhone 6S/6S Plus
- How to Play RMVB Files on My WD TV Media Player
- How to Transcode and Play H.265/HEVC on Raspberry Pi 2/3?
- How to Move MP4 Files to iTunes for Playback on Windows and Mac?
- Best Simple Way to Remove Audio from Video without Quality Loss